Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Couch to 5K

One of the items on my 30 by 30 is losing two dress sizes. With less than a month to go, I don't think this goal is attainable; however, I have started doing the couch to 5K program and I am noticing that it's at least helping. So far, my exercise program has been to do couch to 5K three nights and then one or two nights of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred with two nights off. It's been fairly easy to stick by so far, so I am pretty proud of myself. I haven't seen a lot of weight loss, but I'm feeling better, and that seems more important.

It's been suggested by the couch to 5K creators that, to help you stick with the program, you should sign up for a 5K at the end. I've been looking at options and none of them sounded good, until I found a GroupOn deal for a fun "ugly sweater" 5K at the harbor that includes hot chocolate at every mile and an after party with two hard ciders. The weekend is a little sketchy since I might have my daughter, but Eric said he would keep her with him during my race and they'd cheer me on together. If that happens, there's also an ice show a hotel at the harbor always puts on that Eric suggested we see, so we can always make a day of it.

Now, I just need an ugly sweater. Eric has told me that he's willing to buy me one for my birthday. He kindly sent me to this site after I told him that as long as it had bling or sequins (so I still get something sparkly for my birthday) that I was game. I sent him this sweater as it's green AND has beads, which count as bling in my book.

There's also a color run in Baltimore in November, but it is also a weekend I have my daughter and is right after I'm set to finish the program. I think December would be the safer bet, and it's also cheaper with the GroupOn. There's other, more competitive 5K's around Thanksgiving, but I think I'd do better in a less competitive environment. Both the ugly sweater and color run 5K's are just for fun and are not timed. I recently posted a facebook meme that said something like "I am not trophy wife material, I'm more of a participation ribbon girl." So, I think a less competitive environment would suit me fine!

Now I just have to make sure I stick with the program at least through Christmas so I can run this race. Maybe I'll add some running goals to my 45 by 45 list. My brother has already done multiple marathons, so it wouldn't be all that unique, but still a worthy goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment