Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mirena Detox Day 1

On Sunday, I started the detox program. For my first smoothie, I made "Daybreak" which is a mango, peach and pineapple smoothie. I added almond milk, pineapple juice, half a banana and mango chunks. It was pretty good, and I found myself really optimistic about the drinks.

I should state now that I ordered the soy free version of Kaeng Raeng. Because of all the hormonal issues the Mirena caused me, I was afraid soy might make the estrogen dominance I was experiencing worse. I know on Kaeng Raeng's website, they state that the phytoestrogen in soy doesn't effect human estrogen, but it was a risk I wasn't willing to take. This difference likely effected how the smoothies tasted. I've read many blogs by people who received a free trial and enjoyed the smoothies and I imagine these were the soy based smoothies.

After the first drink, I had some stuff I wanted to do around the house, and since it was the first morning I hadn't woken up with a headache in a few days, I wanted to get right down to it. It took me about 2 hours to finish the first smoothie (it was a lot of liquid), and a couple of hours later, I started developing another headache. It was about this time that I was ready for smoothie number 2. I had the "Joyful" smoothie, which has strawberries, raspberries and pineapple. This one was not as good as the first smoothie. I put strawberries, almond milk and pineapple juice. It didn't take as long to drink this one, but it still wasn't as good as the morning smoothie. At this point, the headache really started kicking in. I spent more time resting than I had planned to. About mid-afternoon, the headache was bordering on unbearable and debilitating, I could barely move.

Now for a paragraph just for the ladies, fellas you can skip this bit of TMI. Before I started this detox, I also went off all birth control because I wanted to flush out everything in an effort to get my hormones more stabilized. As a result, my period started almost immediately and it was the heaviest one I've had in a while. So, on top of the headache, I was dealing with all of the fun of being on my period as well. It was not a fun experience, but based on the symptoms, I felt like the detox was working.

By the third drink, I was feeling really awful. I made the "Into the Blue" which was my least favorite of the three flavors. I didn't even finish it all because I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I ate some fruit and veggies to get through the night and drank plenty of water. I tried to save the "Into the Blue" that was left for the morning, but that didn't quite work out.

All in all, the first day was pretty awful. I felt horrible, and was not sure I would make it through the detox. At one point, in an effort to try to detox through other methods, I took a detox bath with a recipe including sea salts, ginger, baking soda and vinegar. It helped while I was in the bath, but as soon as I got out, the headache returned full force. Regardless of how awful I felt, I truly believe the detox was working. I was looking forward to day 2, hoping some of the symptoms would be eliminated.

I'm curious as to whether the soy based smoothie mix would taste better than the soy free one, but not curious enough to try it any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment