Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mirena Detox

A lot has happened since my last post, but I'm not going to focus on that right now since a lot of the problems I've been having all seem to come back to the same culprit: the Mirena IUD.

I had this horrible contraption placed in November of 2012, on election day actually. For a year, I had significant weight gain that made no sense as my eating habits had not changed. I was tired all the time, and my efforts to quit caffeine were thwarted as a result. I also had periods of severe pain and PMS even though I stopped having a period. It was awful. I finally looked up my symptoms in comparison with the Mirena and found a plethora of blogs and comments about women who were experiencing symptoms just like mine (or worse).

I gave the Mirena one last shot when I did the couch to 5K, but even that wouldn't allow me to lose weight. At best, it just stopped me from gaining. So, I decided to get it out in December. That's when I experienced the "Mirena Crash." I was in physical pain for days, and emotionally a wreck for much longer. I hoped by going back on the pill, I would be able to avoid it, but that didn't happen. I started reading blogs and comments by women who had also experienced the Mirena crash, and I started researching ways to deal with it. In the end, I decided to do a detox and go off birth control for at least a month to let my hormones stabilize.

I chose the Kaeng Raeng detox, 3 day beginner. I decided to do it over a 3 day weekend and this past weekend was MLK's birthday weekend. I started on Sunday since the kit didn't arrive until Saturday and I'm in day 3 today. I'm going to write separate entries for each day of the cleanse, as well as the pre and post cleanse diet and experience. I feel like it's done me a lot of good, and I'm hoping this will help regulate my hormones from the havoc Mirena wreaked on my body, as well as aid me in the beginning of a weight loss program.

I didn't see any blogs from anyone who tried this cleanse as a result of the Mirena, so I'm hoping this will help fellow Mirena sufferers with their issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment